Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 7 of Detox

Today I feel the changes of detox beginning – I feel less bloated, more energetic, and definitely calmer. I tend to go at a caffeine induced frenetic pace and detox forces me to slow down, concentrate on self care and really nourish myself on all levels. It allows me to stop and assess everything that has occurred in the last 6 months, whether I am aligned with my goals and if I need to adjust anything. I believe that simply connecting with yourself allows change to happen. Often patients will echo this belief, saying that they noticed many shifts occur during detox. Perhaps it is an ongoing problem that gets resolved, perhaps it is a negative self belief that lifts – everyone is different but everyone feels the shift in some way or another!

Today, I tackled the gym first thing. Research shows that if you exercise early morning you actually burn more calories than exercising in the evening – even if you do exactly the same thing! I love morning exercise as it pumps me full of endorphins and I feel good all day long. I know it definitely improves my mood; there is no doubt about that.

Breakfast was a smoothie on the run – apple juice, sheep’s milk yoghurt, frozen berries, probiotic and flax seed oil. Lunch was left over miso soup from last night. I strongly encourage you to do this as it makes life so easy. Make a little extra at dinner and voila - instant lunch! I went to the fish markets on the way home and picked up some flathead tails – this fish is perfect for kids as it has a very mild flavour and soft texture. I coated it in chermoula paste which comes from my favourite organic cafe. Chermoula is a marinade which comes from Morocco and was traditionally used on seafood. It contains a stunning mix of herbs such as garlic, coriander, chilli and cumin. I always have a container of it in the fridge and use it extensively.

Herbs have many therapeutic properties so chermoula is an easy way to increase the amount of herbs in your diet. I grilled the flathead and made a salad of grated beetroot, carrot, pumpkin seeds with a tahini dressing.

No wonder I am starting to feel great! I aim to eat fish 5 times a week during detox as we really need the essential omega 3 fatty acids. If you don’t have enough of these healthy fats, it can affect the exchange of nutrients on a cellular level. Our cell walls are made of healthy fats and you want your cell walls to be fluid and elastic in order to nutrients to get in and toxins to get out. During detox this is at the core of improving cellular health.

No comments:

Post a Comment