Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 6 of Detox

Today I went to the Orange Grove organic markets early in the morning which I just love with a passion. I have been eating organic food for years and I never fail to feel inspired by fresh produce. This morning I visited the mushroom man – he grows incredible wild mushrooms in a cave near Moss Vale. I bought some enoki (my favourite) and some Swiss browns.

Then I chatted to the Sprout woman – she grows lots of different sprouts and I just love the broccoli sprouts. These are packed full of sulphoraphane which induce phase 1 and 2 detox pathways in the liver. Recent research from John Hopkins University has shown that broccoli sprouts are cancer preventative. I throw them into all my salads for an extra detox hit. You can grow them at home, just plant organic broccoli seeds, wait to them to sprout them eat them when they are 3 days old!

I then spotted Johnny, my favourite farmer. His farm is at Peat’s Ridge, 1 ½ hours out of Sydney and he brings down a collective of produce from the local area. He is a wealth of knowledge and as I am setting up my veggie garden I wanted to pick his brains about a few things. As usual, Johnny was full of great advice and I left feeling excited about the prospect of picking my own lettuce in a few weeks.

I always buy a bunch of flowers at the market and love coming home and unpacking all my goodies. I usually cook in the same day as I shop as I tend to get into a foodie zone. First of all I cooked split pea soup for emergency lunch/dinners which I put in the freezer.

For dinner I made fish balls poached in miso soup. This is so easy it is ridiculous. Simply blend some white fish (I used snapper), coriander, chilli, lime zest and garlic. Then make some miso soup (I love to use Spiral red miso paste). Tablespoon the fish into balls, add to soup with some finely chopped vegetables and I topped with the enoki mushrooms. This is an incredibly good detox recipe and it will leave you feeling so clean, light and healthy. Miso supports the good bacteria that live in your digestive system so it is perfect for detox.

No comments:

Post a Comment