Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 24 of Detox

I had a crazy day in clinic today – even my 15 minutes breaks ended up being used for acute phone consults! So it is late and I have just finished writing reports to GPs and psychologists – not my favourite part of being a naturopath but a necessary one.

I used about 6 lychees with my cereal this morning along with a kiwi and it was a taste bud sensation. I took left over salad of rocket, sugar snaps, cucumber and avocado for my mid morning snack. All my friends laugh at me as they know that I often eat left over salad before I go to the gym in the morning. It started when I was younger – I have always enjoyed making salads but I always made so much that we never ate it all at dinner.

So I would stand with the fridge door open in the morning pondering what to eat for breakfast and the salad would just scream out to me “EAT ME!!!” So I did. I then began researching what traditional cultures ate in the morning and I discovered that the cereal and toast phenomenon was a relatively recent invention. In China they eat congee, in Japan it’s miso, in Greece it’s fetta, olives with coffee etc. So our Western version of toast and jam or cereal with milk is what we feel we are supposed to eat, but is it really the best start to the day? Why can’t breakfast be savoury and more substantial? Have you ever heard of the expression “eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner”? So, if you are getting bored with your breakfasts, think outside the square and choose a savoury dish instead.

Lunch today was a Pitango lentil soup – I am in love with this company as they are certified organic, family run and have lots of different meals to choose from. I often have their take home meals in the freezer for emergencies. Dinner was red quinoa with lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil with broccoli, zucchini and tuna.

Today's photo is of Kale - my absolute favorite detox food. I have just met the farmer who grows the most amazing varieties of kale - 15 in fact! I will blog about it soon but in the meantime, buy some and know that as you eat it your liver is kicking up it's heels and dancing for joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment