Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Falling in Love with the Humble Mushroom

Hi fellow foodies,

I had the beautiful experience of finding these enoki mushrooms at my local organic farmers market ( Orange Grove in Leichhardt). I always get so excited to see the freshly picked mushrooms the farmer has on offer. From Swiss brown to Portobello to Enoki and so many other varieties that I never see anywhere else.

To give you a bit of background - I have always disliked mushrooms. Bland, insipid, slimey was my description. Dad used to take me mushroom picking as a child and we would enter the cows paddocks and, to my disgust, dad would head straight for the cow dung and then start picking mushrooms. Of course, I was humiliated, terrified someone I knew would see me and would scarper into the nearest bush!

Now, many years later I appreciate the humble mushroom for so many reasons. First of all, I now love the different textures involved in mushrooms - crunchy, seductive, rich and silky. I have just had an amazing dinner of white miso poached organic chicken thighs with enoki mushrooms, chilli, garlic and lots of ginger. Add to this some fair trade quinoa, organic greens and I am literally in heaven!

So, for all of you that may not have fallen in love with mushrooms yet - be open to the possibility that one day soon a mushroom will sneak up and suprise you with its dexterity, versatility and nutritional power.

Emma xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment